Caladium Plants

Caladiums Not Coming Up

vicky added on June 29, 2011 | Answered

I live in central Florida and last summer I planted lots of caladiums in the front of my home and some in the back. They are not coming up. Both areas have shade and sun. It has been very hot and dry so far this year. Would that have anything to do with this problem?

These plants need water to be able to establish well. It is possible that if they were not watered and you had a very hot and dry season, that they have either not been able to break dormancy or have died. You will need to dig one up to see which it is.

When you dig it up, squeeze the bulb to see if it is firm. If it is still firm, increase water to help them break their dormancy. If the bulbs are soft or brittle, they are dead and you will need to replant.

Here are more questions about Caladium Plants