Animal Control In The Garden

Burrowing Animals

NJAckerman added on March 27, 2018 | Answered

Alarmed to see this recently dug hole at the base of our maple tree. We’ve had skunks, raccoons, squirrels and mice in the past (Yes, welcome to the suburbs!) but nothing ever making a hole like this ! Any ideas and recommendations? Thanks Nancy Mississauga, Ontario

NJAckerman

Michigan Dot- thanks, thought it looked like a groundhog hole but since we don’t often see them here I wasn’t sure. Guess I’ll call our local wildlife and pest removal company.

00

That looks like a woodchuck hole to me. Also known as groundhogs, these guys are great diggers and often locate their dens under sheds or trees. Speaking from experience, I can confirm that they are voracious eaters and will decimate your veggie garden and certain perennials. Mine ate the tops of all the black-eyed susans. Trapping is the usual control method but poison is another option. Repellents are ineffective. Perhaps a large dog who frequents the yard (daily) will scare him off.

10
Here are more questions about Animal Control In The Garden