Brown Edges on White Roses

Yvonne added on May 4, 2011 | Answered

I planted a climber rose Ice berg and it is doing wonderfully and has over 50 buds and blooms, but lots of the blooms have brown edges. Why? I give it Bayer Advance Rose and Flower care as per instructions and water twice a week. Thank you, Yvonne

Well I have had the Bayer products cause this if they are spray applied on white roses. Also if the temps are in the 90's or 100's where you are, the rosebush just simply cannot get enough moisture to the petal edges in the heat to protect them and keep them moisturized, thus they burn or turn brown, crispy edged. Keep an eye on the soils moisture and rinse the entire rosebush down with a watering wand in the early evening once the temps get cooler, this will help if it is heat related as well.

Stan the Roseman
Consulting Rosarian

00