Boxwood Shrubs

Boxwood Health

loripepin added on March 18, 2018 | Answered

I have a hedge of boxwoods in my front yard in Phoenix, AZ. All of the shrubs are browning from the bottom up. The tops are still green but basically the whole bottom halves are brown. I believe it is from underwatering by the previous owners. Is there any way to save them? Should i cut all the brown out (it will be bare though) or will watering bring them back? Any help appreciated. I'm trying to avoid having to dig them out and replace them.

Boxwoods are susceptible to a variety of diseases. "English boxwood decline" and Phytophthora root rot are causes of browning leaves. These are soil borne diseases that result in plant death. Other potential problems are outlined here: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/shrubs/boxwood/yellow-or-brown-boxwoods.htm. Check the Arizona Cooperative Extension Service; they may have a bulletin on boxwoods or may offer diagnosis of plant problems.

00
Here are more questions about Boxwood Shrubs