Soil Amendments

Blood Meal

Do you think it's ok to use actual blood in a garden in place of blood meal? Or would it be too highly concentrated? I plan to butcher our pigs soon and I've raised them in our future garden area. I probably won't plant much in it for this year, maybe a patch of corn. What would grow good in the area? It is about 600 sq. ft. and I've had the hogs (3) in it since November.

Blood meal, which is essentially dried blood, is used often in the garden as a fertilizer that add nitrogen to the soil (, so using it is helpful in the garden.

There is one thing to consider though. With blood meal, you can have issues with animals being attracted by the scent and rooting around where the blood meal is spread. With undried blood, this issue will be even more likely as it will have a stronger scent.

Here are more questions about Soil Amendments