Strelitzia

Black Spot on Strelitzia Flowers AFTER Opening

Claudia25 added on September 12, 2017 | Answered

Hi. In my new garden, I have inherited a Strelitzia, which is very overgrown and badly in need of a prune. I have noticed that it flowers beautifully, but black spots develop once the flowers open. Help!

This plant seems to be suffering from either a bacterial or fungal infection. Luckily there are a few things you can do to help it out. I recommend putting wettable sulfur around the soil, along with a little dolomitic lime, and try to keep it from getting overly wet. You may also spray the plant with one or more of the following: Garlic oil, neem oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil, or mint oil. All of these have wonderful antiseptic properties. Here is an article of over-all care of the plant. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/bop/bird-of-paradise-an-exotic-flower-like-none-other.htm

00
Here are more questions about Strelitzia