Crape Myrtle Trees

Black Bark on Crape Myrtle Tree

Anonymous added on January 5, 2011 | Answered

I had problems with aphids this past summer on my crape myrtle trees. I treated it, but on one tree, black bark remains. I just pruned them back, but there is still some black bark on one tree. Will this damage the tree if I leave it, and will it influence growth and blooms this summer? I also have some Mexican heather planted at the base, and I have black leaves on some of them. Same problem? And what should I do?

It sounds like you may have some sooty mold left over from the pest problem (these two issues normally go hand in hand). The sooty mold will not hurt the plants, though it does make them look unsightly. In the spring, apply a fungicide to the areas. This should help clear it up and make it look better.

00
Here are more questions about Crape Myrtle Trees