Tomato Plants

Birds Getting Through Bird Netting in Garden

I have a small garden with tomato plants. Lately, I have noticed partially eaten tomatoes and have not been able to figure out what is getting in to the garden or how. I have bird netting completely encasing the entire garden, no gaps. Today I observed the culprit. I saw a grackle bird peck its way through the netting and into the garden and proceed to eat a tomato. How can I prevent this from happening? I have lost several good tomatoes recently and don't know how to prevent the bird from pecking thru the netting. I thought bird netting was supposed to prevent birds from getting in to the garden. I didn't figure that they would just peck their way through. I cannot monitor the garden 24/7 against birds. Any suggestions?

What size netting are you using? Normally, the types that's about 5/8" will keep birds out. That being said, you can try hanging reflective devices, like old cds, over your plants to scare them off. Have also heard of people stringing up red Christmas lights to confuse the birds into thinking they're tomatoes but once they peck at them, they quickly realize they're not and move on.

00
Here are more questions about Tomato Plants