Basil Plants

Basil Plants

Anonymous added on December 17, 2010 | Answered

I am growing basil but in a slightly different way than most. I want to grow and harvest the basil for its 'premature' or unopened flower buds rather than for its leaves, though I will make use of the leaves as well. I was wondering, do different growing/fertilizing techniques apply since I'm going for the buds rather than leaves? I want the buds to have maximum possible size and flavor/smell potency. I have purchased regular and bloom enhancing Miracle Grow fertilizer. When do you think that the bloom enhancer should be applied to ensure optimum results?

The fertilizer can be applied regularly as soon as the plant has about 4-8 true leaves. Really, the bloom enhancing fertilizers tend to have more phosphorous. Using more phosphorous and less nitrogen will encourage blossoming and less foliage.

00
Here are more questions about Basil Plants