Banyan Trees

Banyan Tree Roots Spreading

Behind my house is a very large Banyan Tree - approximately 8 feet wide. This tree is on the banks of a permanent river. While the canopy stretches over my house, it does not cover any of my neighbor's property, and the tree is regularly pruned, keeping the canopy approximately the same circumference. My neighbor opposes allowing the aerial roots to take root, claiming that they will grow into his property and do damage to his house or water pipes. Would you please clarify whether my tree poses any threat to my neighbor's house. Thank You. Jim Ewing

I'm sorry, but your neighbor is correct. The Banyan Tree should not be planted near any homes, foundations or water and sewer lines.
Here is a link with more information.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/banyan/growing-a-banyan-tree.htm

00
Here are more questions about Banyan Trees