Azalea Plants

Azalea Black Branches

I have two azaleas (about 15 years old) in my front yard and one appears nearly dead. I noticed all the branches are black with some whitish mold, but mostly really dark. The leaves have dried out and are falling. One is just beginning to turn black and the bottom half looks wilted. Is there time to save the second one? Should I dig up and re-soil where the other one was? There is a healthy rhododendron and hydrangea on either side of the azaleas. No other changes.

Is the mold only white, or is it black too? If it is black, it may be sooty mold. This article can help you understand that fungus and see if that is what you have: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/disease/how-to-get-rid-of-sooty-mold.htm

00
Here are more questions about Azalea Plants