Eggplant Plants

jax added on July 10, 2014 | Answered

My aubergines are developing lovely fruits, but something is eating them! They are eating into the flesh from the bottom of the fruit. What is causing it and how can I stop it? I won't have any left soon to harvest.

Not too many pests are famous for eating eggplant, so this could be difficult to identify. Sometimes pepper weevils or cutworms will eat holes in the fruit; have you found any grubs inside the fruit or hiding under the soil at the base of the plant during the day? Another possibility could be slugs or snails, which don't normally eat such things, but have been known to eat just about anything at one time or another. Set out some shallow pans of beer to see if you catch any of them. Another pest that comes to mind is mice. Here's an article with some helpful information:

Here are more questions about Eggplant Plants