Apricot Trees

Apricots Are Not Sweet

My lovely 30 year old apricot always puts out sweet delicious fruits but usually only about every 3 to 5 years. I have apricots because weather in CA where we live is not usually cold. But my question is. . . . for the first time ever. . . . apricots in all our area, neighbors, etc. had apricots that were not sweet and luscious as usual. I would appreciate your comments.

Fruit on any plant tends to be more sour or bitter if the plant is not getting enough nutrients or enough water. Since it is a neighborhood wide issue, I would look to the weather. Was it particularly dry this year? If so, the trees may have not gotten enough water. Was it very wet this year? The roots may have been struggling due to a lack of oxygen and did not take up the nutrients it needed, or some nutrients were washed away.

Regardless, the fruit should return to their sweet selves by next year. If you want to hedge your bets on that, fertilize the tree with a balanced fertilizer that contains micro-nutrients as well as the typical NPK balance.

00
Here are more questions about Apricot Trees