Soil Amendments

Applied Weed Killer to Garden

I applied weed killer to my 1200 sq. ft. garden in December. I did not till in the fall, as I was waiting for the spring before planning to till. My soil needs to be amended. I live in SC (in the piedmont) and we have a lot of white clay. I am having 6 cubic yards of compost mix delivered, which will have about 1/3 mushroom compost. Can I till at the end of February and then apply the mulch on top?

The answer in short? Yes.
But why till? Save time, money and backache...try lasagna gardening. Once you do, you'll never touch a tiller again!
Just take a look at this is so easy and kinda fun too! Oh yeah, and the best veggies you ever tasted!
The mushroom compost will be an exellent addition! For a nitrogen boost, I've always added some alfalfa to my 'recipe'. Look for it at any feed supply store. I used a 50lb bag on a 1000 sq ft garden.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask~
Happy gardening!

Here are more questions about Soil Amendments