Yellow Delicious Apple Trees

Apples From a Tree With Fungus

I suspect my Golden Delicious apple tree has apple rust or something similar, but it produced a LOT of apples. The apples "look" fine but I am not sure if they are safe to eat. The leaves are covered in yellow spots and the underside of the leaves have hair-like spores. I want to make sure the apples are edible even if the tree has a fungus. My children really want to eat them! :) Additionally, how do I treat the tree so that the fungus does not return next year? Is there anything I can do for it?

The symptoms you describe are from cedar apple rust. Here is an article with information on cedar apple rust that will help you:

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/apples/cedar-apple-rust-control.htm

My research indicates that while cedar apple rust may reduce a crop, the apples are still considered edible.

00
Here are more questions about Yellow Delicious Apple Trees