Tree Problems

Hole in Major Trunk of Tree

My sister has 30 foot high tree in her front yard, and about a week ago wind broke a major trunk of the tree. It looks sick because the center of trunk was turning darker than the outer portion of trunk with wind damage. Now the other branch has a knot hole right in the center of trunk about 5 feet above ground. Can we fill this hole with something to help it?

I would treat the hole with a fungicide to help slow any rot. Also, if you can cover (do not plug) the hole to keep water out. Trees can live with holes in their trunks without problems as long as the bark and first green ring of wood (which is what keeps trees alive) is healthy. However, in this case, you say it has darkened; therefore, I would recommend obtaining adivce from an aborist that specializes in these types of tree issues.

00
Here are more questions about Tree Problems