African Violets

African Violets

Mudpuppy added on January 20, 2018 | Answered

Have recently acquired three healthy African violets which finished blooming. Instead of fertilizer I've given them casts from my vermicomposting and am wondering if this is adequate or if I should give them African violet fertilizer instead. How often should I expect them to bloom? They sit in an east facing window and get only morning sun for 6 hrs max. Do they need more light? Will artificial light help?

I would be afraid that this would be too much nutrients for them. You will want to fertilize with their specific food. It is also very important to note that these are always to be watered from the bottom of a self watering container. Any water you get on the leaves will usually cause infection. They do not need a whole lot of light, and an east facing window will be good. I would put them in a glass case if possible, to keep in the humidity... They tend to like a more humid environment. Unfortunately, it can be hard to predict flowering, as they can be unreliable. Some years they will bloom two or three times, and others may be two years in between blooms. It just depends on their environment.

This article will help you to care for these: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/african-violet/african-violet-care.htm

00
Here are more questions about African Violets