Alfalfa

Advantage Over Planting Alfalfa Over Timothy for Baling Resale

Lareyn added on September 14, 2014 | Answered

We have a 3 acre lot and we sell hay. We want to replant with either timothy or alfalfa. Any advantage to growing one over the other?

Since this is a gardening forum, you would be able to find better information from an agricultural or farming source. However, as I grew up on a horse farm, and my dad grew lots of hay, I'll share my personal experience. Part of your decision of what to plant is based on your market, what kind of animal the hay is meant for, and what kind of hay people want to buy. Agricultural studies are not in total agreement as to the best hay for horses. I learned that 100% alfalfa was not good because it could cause digestive problems, and we always used a mix of timothy and alfalfa. Hope this is of some help to you, but I really recommend you do some research on the farming and university sites.

00
Here are more questions about Alfalfa