Zinnias

Zinnia

Planted zinnia seeds and covered area w/black weed barrier cloth to keep out my cats and area birds from eating seeds. I've seen this at vegetable farms to promote early growth. Is this ok for zinnia seeds? How long is the seed germination period? That is, when can I take the cloth off to let the sun in?

Answered on November 30, -0001

The use of black plastic to start seeds is normally done prior to the actual seed planting - to help warm the soil faster and prevent weed growth. Leaving this down once your seeds are in may actually prevent the seeds from germinating. I would take the plastic off if the seeds are already planted. Cats shouldn't eat the seeds and may only be attracted to the newly dug earth. A light layer of mulch can help alleviate issues with birds. Here is more help with growing zinnas: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/zinnia/growing-zinnia-flowers.htm

00
Here are more questions about Zinnias