Yellowing Climbing Rose Leaves

Anonymous added on December 10, 2010 | Answered

I have a lovely climbing rose, but its leaves are turning yellow and have black spots on them. This is not happening all over, just in patches. The greenery is lush and it has plenty of new growth but no flowers. Help. I can grow veggies without a problem but the lovely rose escapes me.

Hi there and don't give up on that rosebush! You may have some Black Spot fungus trying to attack the rosebushes foliage. Spraying the rosebush down with a good fungucide will help get rid of the black spot fungus and keep other funguses away. I use a product called Green Cure these days but have also used one called Immunox to help keep things under control. It could also be that the foliage is so dense that some of the leaves are getting shaded by the others, thus the bush does not need them and they will turn yellow, sometimes develope the spots and fall off. This time of year in my area the cold temps have sent things off to their Winters Nap so I have not just yellow but dead or dieing leaves.... Sad time of year... If you are still in your growing season, give the rosebush some super phosphate and a a little muriate of potash as those will help strengthen the canes and help with the bloom production. Another thing to keep in mind. Some old climbing roses only bloom once per season and some only bloom on the previous years growth, so pruning them back too much can also eliminate blooms for that year.

Stan

00