Yellow Leaves on Roses

info@jakkalsdans.co.za added on November 27, 2010 | Answered

We live on a farm in Sutherland, Northern Cape. I'm a beginner gardener with roses. In April this year I planted 35 Iceberg roses. All went well through the winter with no problems. About a month ago (October) two of the roses leaves started yellowing. I've identified it on photos on the internet as chlorotic foliage. Some of the leaves also got brown edges and is curling - almost misformed. There are now five roses with the same problem. They start with leaves yellowing and the blooms eventualy get less. They are planted in a bed of about 30cm deep against a white west wall. I did put in a lot of homemade compost and manure bonemeal and "wonders" 5:1:5(16) pot and patio with grass cuttings above with strawberries planted inbetween. After that I gave them a litle 5:1:5 every two weeks. About a month ago I also sprayed a solutions of 3:2:1 foliar feeding from Starke Ayres and hoped the foliage will improve. It does'nt seem to help. A week ago I give them Wonders rose food 8:1:5(25) and this morning I sprayed them and the ground of the bed with seagro. I water every second day for an hour with a microsystem. What am I doing wrong? Please help I'm so worried that they will die.

Chlorosis can be caused by a wide variety of things. At its root, it is a lack of iron in the plant, but the problem can also lie in the plant not being able to take up the iron in the soil. This article will help you determine what might be causing this to happen to your plants:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/plant-problems/environmental/leaf-chlorosis-and-iron.htm

00