I have a yellow fungus growing in my garden planters. I got the dirt free from the landfill, then I amended it with bagged cow manure and peat moss purchased from a large chain hardware store. The fungus grows rapidly and looks like spray-foam insulation, but it is wet and messy when I pick it up to remove it. It is currently only on the dirt, not attacking the plants. Is this dangerous for my plants? Is it dangerous for us to consume the vegetables when they are ripe? Thanks for any help with this.
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
This sounds very much like a Slime Mold.
Keeping the area dry or improving air circulation can help control the mold.
Here is a link with more information.