Schefflera Plants

Woody Stems on My Schefflera

dwc1298 added on June 2, 2014 | Answered

I have a variegated schefflera houseplant and all the others I notice in stores and such have nice green pliant stems and mine are all woody. Is this a problem and can it be fixed? There is SOME leaf growth on the woody stems but it’s not near as lush as the others I’ve seen.

Schefflera are by nature woody plants; the green stems that you see are very young, newly rooted cuttings that are fresh from the grower. Yours are older, so the stem tissue is taking on its natural woody appearance. If you prefer the small, bushy, green stemmed look, you can easily 1) prune your woody stems down close to the soil, to allow the stem to produce new growth; and 2) root the cuttings to make yourself a bunch of new plants. This article has more information: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/houseplants/schefflera/schefflera-plant-care.htm

00
Here are more questions about Schefflera Plants