Wisteria Vines

Wisteria Tree

sherkston added on July 27, 2011 | Answered

I live in western New York state. Why is my wisteria blooming now? It is July. I had one bloom in spring, now I have many clusters. Also seeing Japanese beetles on flower clusters. What is your recommendation to get rid of these beetles?

Cathy

Weather is certainly the main factor in your extra bloom. Since I am an organic gardener, I recommend using Milky Spore to help control the JB grubs. There is also a beneficial nematode that is sold, that will help. Milky spore is expensive and takes time to become established. The nematodes only work for one season, but the combination of the 2 will help get the JB issue under control.. You can hand pick them or brush them into a container with some dish soap. I also use 4 o'clocks planted on the outer perimeter of our property to help draw them away from my other plants. 4 o'clocks are considered invasive in some areas of the country, however I am zone 7 and they are an "annual" here.

00
Here are more questions about Wisteria Vines