Blueberry Bushes

Winterization for Blueberry Bushes

bsparsons added on September 12, 2012 | Answered

I have a (3) blueberry bushes in one large pot. The bushes are each about 3-0 high. I live in Vancouver BC and would like to keep these blueberry bushes on my balcony throughout the winter. What steps do I need to take in order to winterize the blueberry bushes and when do I implement these steps?

Blueberries are naturally hardy, but the roots may still require some protection during winter by wrapping the container in blankets, bubble wrap, quilt batting, or simply cover each plant with a cardboard box in the likelihood of freezing temps. As long as the roots are protected, they should live through the winter just fine. You will also need to water 1-2 times a month while they are dormant unless they receive moisture from rain/snow.

Here are more questions about Blueberry Bushes