Bulb Care

Wintering Bulbs

I an in Oregon (mild weather) and I put my canna and calla lily bulbs in peat moss in large pots in the garage for the winter...but they were not covered and have sprouted due to the lighting. Were they supposed to go dormant? What should I do at this point? Pot them in soil, water them, and keep them in the garage until spring? Or are they OK dry in peat moss until spring? Thank you!

JeffreyGardener

Yes, they are supposed to go dormant. You can try to discourage further growth by putting them somewhere darker, drier, and cooler (down to 50 degrees should work). Otherwise, you will have to (now) maintain the plants and hope that your last frost date comes early enough for you to set the plants back outside. https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/bulbs/calla-lily/calla-lily-winter-care.htm

00
Here are more questions about Bulb Care