Winter. Trim.

chuckporras1945 added on May 8, 2018 | Answered

I see a lot of people trim their rose's in the fall, I do it in the spring,, witch is better? I have 21 assorted and they seem to do OK.I thought trimming in fall stimulating new growth??

Remember when using styrofoam rose cones was popular? A fall trim was necessary to get cones to fit tender hybrid teas. You are correct that fall pruning before dormancy stimulates new growth that is likely not to make it through the winter It is recommended to trim or otherwise secure grandiflora canes that are subject to strong winter winds. Wind causes the base to rock as canes blow back and forth. Rocking may cause the rose to heave and in extreme winds, possibly break some roots. Theoretically, trimming after the plant goes dormant in late fall won't spur new growth; however, the rose can't heal pruning wounds when dormant. Disease risk increases. So continue your practice of early spring pruning.

00