Cassia Trees

Winter Cassia Damaged by Hurricanes

mike.mckeon@runbox.com added on October 19, 2017 | Answered

The recent hurricanes in Jacksonville, FL, knocked over two Winter Cassia trees/shrubs. I propped them back up each time and the trees are thriving. However, I was unable to get them fully upright and when I removed the supports after two months they lean back over at about a 55 degree (vs 90 degree) angle. I would like to cut them back down to the ground this coming spring if they will grow back from the roots. Will this work?

You might try just cutting down to a couple of feet until you get new side shoots that can take over. At least then you can be sure the the tree will have some way to regenerate. Here is an article for the best way to prune the trees: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/cassia/cassia-tree-pruning.htm

00
Here are more questions about Cassia Trees