Environmental Problems

Wind Damage

Shirley Reiser added on January 10, 2018 | Answered

Shortly after we planted a new bush we had a temp drop and very windy. After first night I did put sheet on bush to protect it but now leaves look like what I would call wind burn if that is possible. The leaves are sorta dried up and brown. My question....should I trim all the bad part off or just let it go? Thanks for your help.

Yes, you can trim it back, but do it very carefully. You want to make sure that you aren't cutting away too many live branches and stems. Starting from the branch and stem tips, cut the plant down by little bits (an inch or two at a time) in order to see if the plant is still alive. Inside a live stem or branch, you will see a very thin green ring (in cross section) or green at all (when you scratch the side outer bark away).

Here are more questions about Environmental Problems