Catnip

Will Old Seeds Produce Stunted Plants?

posskat added on May 22, 2011 | Answered

Using the paper towel method to test some older catnip seeds, I selected about 20 seeds that germinated quickly. They grew about 1", produced 2 sets of leaves, and for over a month now, have not progressed one bit!!  The soil was potting soil from Costco, and they have enough water and lots of sun and fertilized occasionally. What went wrong? The same seeds I used last year, under the same conditions were just fine. My cat is ticked off--any ideas?

Old seeds will not cause stunted growth but I suspect your issue may be low temps. Seedlings grow faster with higher temps. As cold as this spring has been for many parts of the country, I suspect that your windowsill may be cooler this year than last year, which slows the growth.

00
posskat

aha! i just got new seeds, and pulled the others up, as they have made absolutely no progress for weeks on end. i'll get these going, and do a sun dance--maybe we'll get some sun before this fall....thanks

00
Here are more questions about Catnip