Wild Strawberry Plants Taking Over My Chrysogonum Virginianum Beds !!!!!

donnaford added on March 14, 2018 | Answered

Wild strawberry plants are taking over my Chrysogonum virginianum beds.Am in the process of trying to pulling them out but am afraid I am doing as much harm than good. Would hate to to start over after all of these years! Is there a safe product to use that will not kill the Chrysogonum virginianum, the strawberries are covering about 2/3rds of the area and it is a BIG area. Please advise.

This is probably the invasive false or mock strawberry, Duchesnea indica. Native strawberries have white flowers, mock has yellow. I can think of nothing that will kill mock strawberry and not injure your Chrysogonum. Hand pulling or using a small foam paintbrush to apply herbicide are your choices. You might take the opportunity to dig up clumps, separate out the strawberry, improve the soil with some compost then replant.