Chaste Trees
Q.

Vitex tree doesn’t take the heat

Zone Zone 8b - Bossier City Louisiana | Anonymous added on May 10, 2016 | Answered

I bought this tree because I think it is absolutely beautiful and I made sure before buying it that it was the right choice for full sun because there is no shade in my backyard yet. It was doing good until the heat took over, and it is not summer yet! In the morning, it looks fine but by 5 pm, the time when finally the sun goes down over it, it looks all wilted. Because of this, the leaves are smaller and it looks skimpy. There's no place to move it because of the lack of shade. The only thing would be to dig it up and place it in a very big pot in the patio were it can get some shade. Can it be grown in a pot? Why is this happening? Shouldn't it be very heat resistant?

A.
A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer

How have you been watering it? While the chaste tree is said to be heat and drought tolerant, it does need to be regularly watered until it's well established. I believe your tree will perk up with an increased watering schedule.

The chaste tree can be grown in a container should you decide to pursue that route.

I would also recommend reviewing the care plan for the vitex tree at the link below and double-check that your location and soil meet the tree's requirements:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/chaste-tree/chaste-tree-cultivation.htm

00

Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

here are more questions about...
Chaste Trees
Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
Become a GKH Gardening Expert

Learn More