Pampas Grass

Pampas Grass Brown in Center

tassiemae added on May 1, 2015 | Answered

Why is the center of my pampas grass brown and has not growth? I have several large pampas grass plants. This is the 4th-5th year of planting. They were beautiful and huge. After trimming back, the bases are about 2 feet each or more. I have cut back to about 1 foot off ground. The center core is a brown mass. The plant is only sprouting green in outer edges. Looks like it will not grow up with full plant or plumes. Several of my plants are doing this. Do I need to divide it, cut it to the ground, or throw it away? Thanks for your help. I love the look of these plants.

Pampas grass should be divided every 3 to 4 years, otherwise, when the clumps get too large, it begins to die out in the center and will quickly perish. It's time to divide.

For more information on pampas grass, please visit the following link:

Here are more questions about Pampas Grass