Parrot Plants

Why Is My Parrot Plant Half Wilting With Stunted Leaf Growth?

Leroyragamuffin added on September 24, 2014 | Answered

I have a parrot plant, which is approx 1 yr old. I have had it from cutting and it has grown well during the summer, flowering nicely. Recently, the nice weather stopped and the temp dropped some and in the past week new leaf growth has been stunted, burn spots have appeared on the leaves (center and tip) and one half of the plant is wilting slightly. I'm planning to repot and check for root rot, snip the head and take cuttings....but I suspect it may have blight. Hope someone can help.

Thanks theficuswrangler, I'd read rootrot was most likely to blame but as i'm quite careful watering it, waiting for it to wilt before watering, i dismissed that and thought blight the likely culprit.....well i have now repotted and trimmed it back - the rootball didn't look that bad so will see how it responds in the next couple weeks - thanks again.

Your plant looks to me as if it's suffering from root damage brought on by too wet soil. If you check the soil in the bottom of the pot with an electronic moisture meter, or test it with a bamboo kebob skewer, you'll probably find that it's quite wet. The soil should feel very slightly damp before you water again. This article has some ideas for drying the soil:

Here are more questions about Parrot Plants