Ash Trees

Why Did All of the Leaves on My Purple Ash Turn Brown?

trees added on June 17, 2013 | Answered

A month ago I had a Purple Ash tree planted. After 2 weeks all of the leaves turned brown. I ask a local place about this and they said give it more water and pull all of the brown leaves off of it. So I watered it and pulled the brown leaves off. It has been another 2 weeks now and there has been no change to this tree. No new budding or any thing. I live in Amarillo Texas. What can possibly be wrong with this tree?

There could be air pockets in the soil. Water thoroughly and then press down around the tree to collapse any air pockets that may be restricting the roots from taking up any water. It could also have a fungus, so treating with a fungicide should help.

If a plant has recently been transplanted, it must have adequate moisture. I always advise customers to give trees and large shrubs a thorough soaking once a week. A tree with a 2'' diameter should get 10 or more gallons of water weekly. (A 5 gallon bucket with a small hole drilled in the bottom might look dumb, but it works great! Fill that bucket twice and your watering is done.) It's always best to water deeply less often than to water more shallow ad more often.
I would also suggest you talk to the supplier of the tree. If it's "going down" after only 2 weeks, something serious is wrong.

Here are more questions about Ash Trees