Lawn Problems

Why Can’t I Grow Grass Under a Tree?

Lee Teyler added on August 16, 2015 | Answered

I read your article of “Tips For Growing Grass Under A Tree." But I think there are other reasons of problems to get grass to grow under most trees. Here are my findings: We have several trees in fairly good sunlight (grass is good for a radius of about the diameter of the outer most foliage) areas and the grass directly under these trees grow very poorly. And I have also noticed that the normal runoff or water drainage areas show some poor growth as well. At one of the trees, I noticed that sap drips down on the car. This is what I think is causing the low lawn growth directly under the tree’s foliage. If so, what might be done to reduce this damage, if, in fact, it is a problem? Thank you, -Lee Teyler

Yes, drainage runoff can certainly effect the grass growing under a tree.
Sap from trees generally should not be an issue for the plantings underneath a tree.

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/tgen/tips-for-growing-grass-under-a-tree.htm

00
Here are more questions about Lawn Problems