Rhododendron Plants

Why Can’t I Get My Rhododendrons to Bloom?

kathi added on September 4, 2012 | Answered

Why can't I get my rhododendrons to bloom? In sunny spots, approximately 3 yr old plants.

It's likely the soil. If soil has too much nitrogen, it will encourage more foliage growth as opposed to flowering, which needs more phosphorus. Use a "bloom booster" fertilizer or add some bone meal to the soil to help add some phosphorus.

00
Cheyenne

I have two types of rhododendrons in my yard. Two have the small leaves and one has a larger leaf. About twice a year I give them a treatment of used tea leaves. My neighbour gives hers used coffee grounds. The two small rhododendrons bloom faithfully every year. The large one every second year. I just spread the tea leaves around the base of the plant. This is also good for holly bushes.

00
Here are more questions about Rhododendron Plants