Hens And Chicks Plants
Q.

Why are my sempervivums dying?

Zone Oregon | rmccann added on June 27, 2019 | Answered

I have had this happen several times with any sempervivums I have ever gotten. These ones are fairly new, maybe a few weeks old. They get lots of sun on a porch and I haven't been watering them very much at all, so maybe that it?

A.
    A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer

This is relatively normal. They are similar to pineapples in that they will produce, either, seeds or pups (offsets) and then die off. The new offsets will take over. As these larger mother plants die off, they will need to be plucked and discarded, leaving the pups to replace it. Just be sure to wait until they die off completely before removing.

The pups should spread with enough time, and correct harvesting of the mother plants after they dry up.

This article will help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/cacti-succulents/hens-chicks/growing-sempervivum-plants.htm

00

Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

here are more questions about...
    Hens And Chicks Plants
    Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
    Become a GKH Gardening Expert

Learn More