Conifers

Why Are My Conifers Turning Brown (UK)

Wendythree added on August 2, 2012 | Answered

We have over 300 conifers in our garden, several different species. We are now in late/mid summer and several of them are showing signs of distress. Whole branches are turning brown and brittle and losing their growth and needles. We have experienced a wet summer. Can excess wetness affect the health of the trees? I surface feed them all fish blood and bone in early spring and again in mid summer. Is it possible to overfeed them, and am I using the right fertilizer or is there a better one available? Thank you so much. I do hope you can help. Regards, Wendy.

Yes, wet summers can affect them by causing fungus or root rot. It may be a fungus on the needles or it can be a root rot of the roots.

Try treating the needles with a fungicide and check the roots for softness and rotting.

00
Here are more questions about Conifers