Broccoli Plants

White Worms

Anonymous added on January 31, 2011 | Answered

I recently bought some broccoli and was getting ready to eat it and found a white-looking worm on it. My friend said you have to soak the broccoli first because of this, and that all broccoli has these worms. Is this true? If so, what do you do about it because I do eat broccoli cooked and uncooked.

No, not all broccoli has these worms. If you are buying commercially grown broccoli, you should not find any worms because they use pesticides to stop them. Most organically grown or home grown broccoli will not have caterpillars or worms, but some will slip through. If you are eating organic or home grown broccoli, it does not hurt to soak the heads, but you will find 99 out of 100 times they have no pests.

Here are more questions about Broccoli Plants