White Bird of Paradise

fdallas2@yahoo.com added on April 12, 2018 | Answered

I live in Lakeland Florida and got hit pretty hard with IRMA. My bird of paradise is very tall but it lost two middle stalks from the storm so when some of the stems get large they fold over from lack of inner support. Also when my stalks do get large and stand up they tend to dry and curl at the leaf end looking very unattractive. It was very healthy prior to the storm but now I do not know how to get it back healthy. It looks like a mess every time I look out at my pool and it breaks my heart. Can you give me some advice to a inexperienced gardener?

As long as there are healthy replacements near the mother plants, sometimes the best option is to cut the main stalk, and let the replacements take over. I would still add wettable sulfur and dolomitic lime to the area, as I suspect an infection starting in the soil.

This article will give you more information on the care of these: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/flowers/bop/bird-of-paradise-outdoors.htm

00