Container Hibiscus Plants

Pruning Hibiscus Wintering Indoors

marguerite.senecal added on January 4, 2017 | Answered

I want to winter my hibiscus and have it in a sunny window where it stands the best chance of getting whatever sun we have in an eastern Canadian winter. Many leaves have turned yellow and dropped so I am cutting back on watering, of course. Lots of leaves still at the tops of branches, and they are green. Should I prune it and cut it way back? It's on the balcony, southeast facing in summer. Thank you.

Most hibiscus plants will lose at least some leaves when brought indoors for the winter, but they will usually recover in spring. In your situation, you should probably not prune the hibiscus, since you'd be removing most of its remaining leaves. It sounds like you are doing the right thing and your plant will surely be fine. Here is more information on overwintering hibiscus:

https://www.ext.nodak.edu/extnews/hortiscope/flowers/hibiscus.htm

00
Here are more questions about Container Hibiscus Plants