Pentas Plants

Where to Cut When Deadheading Pentas

fsuchristy added on August 26, 2016 | Answered

Everyone says to deadhead a pentas, but I can't figure out where to cut. Each stem seems to grow three flower clusters. Am I supposed to pinch off each flower cluster as it dies or follow the stem all the way to the leaves and cut there (sacrificing the two side flower clusters)? For example, when I clip just the center cluster (leaving the two side ones), the side ones eventually die and I have to cut those too. I end up with lots of pitchfork looking stems from where I clipped each of the three flower clusters as they died. Do I cut the whole stem at that point? They never seem to grow new clusters or leaves. Help! I love the flowers and feel incredibly guilty when I lose a plant. :-( Thanks in advance!

It is your choice whether to remove the individual dried flower cluster, remove the whole stem with the live side clusters too, or leave the dried cluster on the plant until the side clusters die as well. Whichever you think looks best is fine, and none will hurt the plant.

Thanknow you!

Here are more questions about Pentas Plants