When Is It the Right Time to Repot a Parade Rose

goosey added on May 10, 2011 | Answered

I was given a parade rose bush for Mother's Day and I would like to know if I have to repot it now because it has some of its roots coming out of the bottom of the pot. Also, is it best to grow inside/outside? If outside, when do I plant outside (it is just one solid plant)?

It sounds like you need to repot it now. Many times there can be more than one mini rosebush in that original pot that they are purchased in. They do that to make them look fuller for folks to buy them for their beauty. I have had four to five actual mini roses in the original pot when I went to repot them. I put each one in its own pot and had some to share with others that way. You can grow them inside or out but I like to go ahead and plant them outside and treat them just like my other rosebushes. If you go to and do a search for parade roses or even miniature roses you will find some great informative articles on them.

Stan the Roseman
Consulting Rosarian