Plant Recommendations

What Type of Nut Tree Should I Plant

California added on March 10, 2013 | Answered

I'm in a low basin east of 29 Palms, Ca. with winter lows20° and 50° days. Summer lows 80° and 110° days. I dug 20 holes 24" dia. and 36" deep. Through 2' rock & clay, 1' of gravel & clay then it's all sand and ancient stream bed with rounded granite rocks. Backfilled the holes with paper, Kellogg's grow mulch, dry leaves, steer manure blend and about one third dirt. I'll need to let the backfill decompose before planting. I'm doing this with my social security check so may need to start with seeds now for next spring planting. Is there a nut tree that will do well here and where can I get seeds or seedlings? If no nuts, then what kind of money crop tree do you suggest. Thank you for any help. Charles R. Heiss 

P. S. I have just found out from sunset zone chart that i am in zone 11 not zone 9  Charles R. Heiss

Charles,, I hope you don't mind, but I took the liberty to have a fruit and nut catalog sent to you. It should arrive in 10-14 days. Since your holes are 14' apart, I don't know what nut tree could be planted that close. There are dwarf fruit trees that could handle that spacing. For sure, some of the berries could work with 14' centers. I might suggest that you contact your local agricultural extension office for their recommendations.
The catalog contains a great deal of information about what pollinates what, culture and anticipated harvests. These are good folks, have a good product that is true to lable and know what they are doing.

00
California

Can anybody out there be of any help on the type of tree I should plant that will in time produce a crop. I'm open for all suggestions. C.R.H.

00
California

The holes are 14 feet apart. Charles R. Heiss

00

Not sure what nut to plant...how far apart are your holes. This article on raspberries could help: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/edible/fruits/raspberry/care-of-raspberry-plants.htm

00
Here are more questions about Plant Recommendations