Oak Trees

What Type of Flowering Tree Can I Plant Near an Oak?

kr81 added on January 11, 2012 | Answered

I have a small backyard that backs up to a wooded area. The wooded area does not provide shade in the afternoon, as the lowest branches of the mature trees are probably 40 feet in the air. I would like to plant a flowering tree near the wooded area between two oak trees. These trees are 15-20 feet apart. Can I plant any flowering tree near these oaks without damaging the oaks or wasting my money on the flowering tree?

I would consider flowering dogwood, as these trees are naturally found within the understory of other trees. There are many varieties and most are hardy in Zones 4-9. The red twig is especially nice, iffering additional winter interest to the landscape. Here is more info on growing flowering dogwoods: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/trees/dogwood/caring-dogwood-trees.htm

00
Here are more questions about Oak Trees