Companion Plants

What Spacing Guide Do I Use When Companion Planting?

Kjlittle added on May 14, 2015 | Answered

This is my first time to do companion gardening, and only my third year to actually have a garden. I have my corn spaced at 24 inches and, if possible, can I plant beans and cucumbers in between them or plant them the row in front of them?

Yes, you can plant these things inbetween the corn, and is a great space saving thing to do. When interplanting, you can ignore spacing guides as long as you pay attention to the height of the plants you are mixing.

Spacing guides are largely there to make sure that plants of similar size do not interfere with each others sunlight and, less importantly, root systems. When you interplant plants of differing size, they don't interfere with each others' sunlight and their root systems will be fine as long as you provide enough water and nutrients to support all the plants in the space.

Here are more questions about Companion Plants