Plant Recommendations

What Other Nut Trees Can Be Planted Near a Black Walnut Tree?

kverseput added on January 4, 2015 | Answered

I have a black walnut tree, live on a small lot and want to plant another nut tree near by if possible. I live in zone 5b. I am really wanting to plant two hardy almond trees or chestnut trees. Do you know if either tree is compatible, and if not what other nut trees are? Thank you for any help that you can assist us in! Kristin

00

In my limited research time, I didn't find any information on almonds or chestnut planted near black walnut. However, some reports said that peach and cherry did all right near black walnut, so almond being in the same family, they probably would also. Some other nuts that would grow near black walnut would be other walnuts, butternuts, and pecans. I suggest you consult with your local county extension service for specific advice. This link will help you find the nearest office:
https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/info/what-is-extension-service.htm
One notice is that keeping other plants 20-30' from black walnut should moderate the juglone.

00
Here are more questions about Plant Recommendations