Gunnera Plants

What Is the Very Large Woody Thing Under the Surface and Sticking Up Out of the Ground at the Base of My Gunnera

Janett souza added on October 29, 2017 | Answered

The first two years I had a Gunnera plant it was beautiful and leafs 5 feet across This past growing season it produced three leaves about six inches across. As I am cleaning around the plant I reliza that big lump at the base of the plant is bigger than a basket ball with the texture of wood what is that. I cut it down I don't have photos

It would really help to have some photos, as I am unable to identify what it is by the description. The only other thing I could suggest would be to take a sample, if you still can, to your local extension. They should be able to identify this for you.

Here is a link to help you find your local extension: https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/extension-search/

00
Here are more questions about Gunnera Plants