What's your question? Ask

Hyacinth Plant

Q.What Is It?

Anonymous added on July 13, 2011 | Answered

I have pretty well eliminated the slugs from my garden, but now I do not know about this little bug. We use to call them roly-polys because the second you touch them, they roll up into little balls. I do not think these are grubs and they do not look like a Japanese beetles. What are they, and how do I get rid of them? Or do I?

A.Answers to this queston: Add Answer
Certified GKH Gardening Expert
Answered on July 14, 2011

They are called a few different things, pill bugs, sow bugs and isopods are some of their other names.

They are generally not damaging to plants, but when they are, most insecticides will work on them. If you are looking for more organic control, they need moist soil to survive, so keeping the top of the soil a little drier and eliminating hiding spot will help to keep their populations down.

Was this answer useful?

Log in or sign up to help answer this question.

Did you find this helpful? Share it with your friends!

You must be logged into your account to answer a question.

If you don't have an account sign up for an account now.

Looking for more?
here are more questions about...
Hyacinth Plant
Join Us - Sign up to get all the latest gardening tips!

Do you know a lot about gardening?
Become a GKH Gardening Expert